As a nonprofit, charitable organization, the Y provides financial assistance for Y membership and programs in order to ensure that everyone, regardless of income, has access to the Y. Through generous contributions from YMCA members, friends, local businesses and the United Way, no one is turned away from the YMCA due to an inability to pay. All records are kept confidential. A sliding scale is used to determine how much assistance is awarded.
Income Verification Guidelines
Financial assistance applicants must provide the following financial verification:
- Detail of non-payroll income (PA Unemployment, Disability, Child Support, etc)
- Last two paycheck stubs for each parent
- Letter from Childcare Information Services with eligibility information is acceptable.
Non Payroll Income:
- Government Assistance: Notice of Decision (with names of eligible person(s) and total income including food stamps).
- Social Security Disability: Letter from Social Security office or Notice of Decision stating the monthly benefit amount. This often needs to be accompanied by government assistance income as applicable.
- Unemployed: Notification of eligible benefits from unemployment office. Federal tax return will still be needed, as unemployment is a taxable income.
- Court Order/voluntary child support income.
Exceptions to Above:
- Full-time college student: Letter from registrar’s office indicating a current full-time student status. A school schedule is NOT adequate documentation.
- No Income: The YMCA needs the income verification of the person(s) supporting the applicant. Example: John does not work and is living with his grandmother. Since she is providing him with room and board, the YMCA would need a letter from the grandmother stating the situation.
Details of the application process
- Completely fill out financial assistance application program registration form below.
- Your program director will request complete financial verification information and supporting documents.
- Applications are reviewed on a weekly basis.
- You may call the Metro Office at 452-1432 for assistance with completing form.
Financial Assistance Application